2008 Hall Of Fame Inductees

CAWF Hall of Fame

Barb Zalepa - Competitor

Very seldom does an armwrestler come into the sport with the raw strength and natural ability to overcome the best we have in Canada in their very first year. 

She upset the field at the 1993 Nationals in Saskatchewan capturing her very first Canadian Title. 

Since then she has gone on to win 13 National Titles & 5 World Titles in 3 different weight classes. 

Her very presence at the table drew fear & respect from her competitors, and at one time was considered pound for pound the best female armwrestler on the planet. 

A biography of Barb

It was the summer of 1992 when the world of arm wrestling had the first 

chance to see then Barb Schlegel. There was a charity arm wrestling 

tournament in West Lorne, Ontario. Barb, who grew up in the area, decided 

to participate in the tournament. She was always good at arm wrestling and 

thought that she would give it a try on a professional table. She had always 

excelled at any sport that she competed at and thought that this would be 

an exciting new challenge. Barb had gone undefeated as a amateur boxer 

going 13-0 ( no one got past the first round), she had won a body building 

contest, and had still held multiple high school track records in Ontario. 

She had little trouble beating the defending champion and thought this 

would be a sport that she would enjoy. The referee at that time told her that 

she had more natural talent then any other woman that he had ever seen 

and that she should try the next tournament which was 2 weeks away. 

There would be more competition there because it was a money 

tournament. That referee was Mark Zalepa. 

Barb participated at the next tournament and defeated all again, including 

the Ontario champion. Still not understanding the magnitude of what she 

just did, she walked back to her seat and never thought anything of it. After 

the tournament she was approached by the referee again and told about 

the Canadian championships in Ottawa and that she would have a good 

chance at doing well. She would have a much stronger class of competition 

because the many time Canadian & World champion, Nancy Locke, would 

be there. She decided that was the next tournament she would attend. It 

was a month away and the referee, Mark, offered to help show her some 

techniques and positions that might help her if she was interested. She 

was very interested in finding out more about the sport because of her 

background in competing at a high level she knew that nothing came easy 

and she would have to practice to become better if she planned on 

competing professionally. 

The weekend of the Canadians had arrived. She had not had a chance to 

practice with Mark because of conflicting work schedules. She did keep in 

contact with Mark during that month and saw that there was more then just 

the sport she was interested in. It was a huge tournament and to make it 

more interesting, it was being covered by TSN (The Sports Network). Barb 

placed second to Nancy but not before beating 3 other Provincial 

champions. Nancy had way too much speed and experience to have Barb 

give her a challenge. The fire was sparked in heart to become the best at 

the sport. The fire was also started with Mark. 

Within 2 weeks Mark had moved in. They had found out while at the 

Canadians they had feelings for each other from the first time that met. 

Unknown to Mark until years later that Barb left her boyfriend the day after 

the first tournament and told her mother that she thought she met the man 

she was going to be married to. Mark had the same feelings but didn't want 

to scare Barb off if the feelings weren't the same way for Barb. He knew at 

that time that she was destined to become the best and did not want to 

spoil that by trying to ask her out. They have been together ever since and 

were married October 15, 1994. Almost two years to the day of her first 

Canadian championship. 

Barb trained hard for the next year hoping to get the chance to beat Nancy 

at the 1993 Canadian championships which were going to be held in 

Regina, Sask.. She lost to Nancy again at the Ontario championships and 

was more determined then ever to be on top. There was a twist to the story 

that helped Barb out and that was that Shirley Issac, another many time 

Canadian and World champion was going to be in the same class. 

Everyone thought that Nancy and Shirley would be the two to watch. Barb 

shocked the arm wrestling world by becoming the champion in the 60 kg 

class with both left and right arms. Next - the WAF World championships in 

Edmonton, Alberta. 

The World championships went the same way as the Canadians. Barb was 

not the favorite and was over looked. She walked away the 1993 World arm 

wrestling champion in the women's 60kg class. It was all the drive she 

needed to train harder and become a top name in the sport.  

In 1994 Barb thought that she would not compete at the WAF World 

championships in Sweden, but would rather try the biggest tournament at 

the time which was the Yukon Jack. Barb has stated from the time that she 

started the sport that she wanted the challenge of beating the best. Seeing 

that the Yukon Jack was an open weight class she thought that that would 

be more exciting to try. She placed third behind Dot Jones & Liane 

Desfrene. She beat many ladies bigger than her and thought that this was 

the direction she want to go. She wanted to win the World championships 

in as many weight classes as she could. This was not an ego thing, but a 

challenge to do something no other woman has ever done. To win the 

World championships in 4 different weight classes. 

The next year would turn out to be the most rewarding year for Barb in her 

life. She achieved the greatest title on earth, Mom. On October 2, 1995 an 8 

lbs 2 1/2 ounce baby boy arrived. Chase Alexander Zalepa was born and 

thankfully he has Barb's huge hands. Maybe a third World champion in the 

family? Only time will tell. 

With a year off from the sport Barb knew that she would have a lot of 

catching up to do. She trained harder then ever on her way to wining her 

fifth and sixth Canadian titles. She had her focus now set on the Yukon 

Jack in Orlando, Fla.. She lost again to Dot and Liane but it only intensified 

her drive to prove that she could compete with bigger women. She vowed 

to beat one of the ladies who had been her only obstacles over the last two 

years. She wanted to beat either Dot or Liane. She accomplished that feat 

in the summer of 1997 beating Liane in Ottawa.  

During the winter of 1998 Barb was waiting for a tournament to start in 

Huntsville, Ontario when she was coaxed into pulling the men's 135 lb 

class. The class had the reigning Ontario champion plus 2 time Canadian 

champion for the men in the same class. She thought for training reasons 

she would try it to see how she would fair against the men. It was not a 

good day in Huntsville for the men as Barb won both ladies classes as well 

as the men's with the Ontario and the Canadian champion placing third and 

second behind her respectively. This was just another example why many 

competitors consider Barb pound for pound one of the best arm wrestlers 

in the world. 

Barb has many titles to her credit such as 10 time Canadian and and 6 time 

World arm wrestling Champion but there is still one title she would love to 

obtain - Olympic Gold Medallist. Barb, as every other professional arm 

wrestler, is dreaming of the day that this great sport will some how get the 

chance to show the world what great athletes it has on the Olympic stage. 

With hard work and a lot of co-operation Barb hopes that this dream will 

become a reality. There is no greater feeling in sport then to represent your 

country at the greatest sporting event on the Planet. We all hope it can 


With the future of the sport looking brighter than ever now Barb has plans 

to train harder than ever to obtain the goal of a world title in 4 different 

weight classes. She now has 3 with the most recent one coming in the 70kg 

class at the 1998 World arm wrestling championships in Thunder Bay, 

Ontario. Barb hopes to pull in the 80kg in 1999 World arm wrestling 

championships in Japan. All this from a woman that weighs 134 lbs (61kg). 

If there is any woman in the sport that can accomplish this feat, it is Barb 


CAWF Hall of Fame

Dave Hicks - Competitor

If there is a Super-Man in the sport of armwrestling, our next inductee would be him. 

No single person has accomplished more, traveled further, or been a better ambassador for our country in the world of armwrestling than our next recipient. 

He has captured numerous Canadian & World titles, and done it all with an infectious smile. 

Highly respected the world over, he continues to show us flashes of his armwrestling brilliance to this very day. 

CAWF Hall of Fame

Fred Roy - Builder

His career in organized armwrestling got off to a rocky start in 1979 finishing an unexpected 3rd in his first official tournament. From there he helped the late great John Miazdzyk organize the very first North American Armwrestling Championships and later that same year went on to found and organize his provinces armwrestling association which still runs today. 

He won his first National Title in 1982 & a World title in 1985. In 1989 John Miazdzyk passed away and he was there to pick up the mantel and continued pushing John’s vision forward & becoming the CAWF President. In 1998 he became President of the WAF and has been a driving force in bringing armwrestling to where it is today. 

A biography of Fred Roy 

 Athlete, organizer and individual. 

by Debbie Roy  


February 15, 1952, Fred Roy was born in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada. He 

was raised on the family farm in the French/Canadian community of Domremy, 

Saskatchewan, along with his 7 brothers and 4 sisters. Growing up in a humble 

background, Fredís parents, Roger and Florence raised their family deriving their income 

from mixed farming, lumber and logging camps. Hard work with little reward was nothing 

new to the family clan, but still they basked in good health and great fun with the little they 

had. Fred, fluent in both English and French, graduated from the local school in Domremy. 

Like most young people at that time, secondary education was not an option and so he 

headed straight to work in his father's local bush camps and then on to the mines of 

Thompson, Manitoba, Canada, where he toiled in the INCO mines for nickel ore. After a 

year of doing this work he went onto road construction, running heavy equipment, 

building roads into the north country of Canada. He even purchased a motorcycle and 

pursued his private pilotís license. There was a lot of work available in those years of 1969 

to late 70ís. During those growing up years Fred met Debbie Bremner, with whom he 

stayed in very close contact. After returning from the North Country and working a 6- 

month stint as driver salesman for a petroleum company and then 2 years for a meat 

packing plant, Fred and Debbie were married in 1973 and raised a family of 2 boys 

Christopher and Jason and a girl, Meagan. Fred went onto drive tractor-trailer for a cattle 

company and in 1975 he started his own business in the logging industry, running three 

bush camps and heavy equipment to go with it. Four tractor-trailers hauled their product 

to the local mills. In the late 80ís, Fred sold out the business and in 1990 he started 

working for Weyerhaeuser Canada, one of the worldís largest pulp, paper and lumber 

companies in the world. He works there today as a Maintenance Supervisor.  

 That is quite a trail to follow, as we list off Fredís many occupations, but there are 

several things that stand out during this sojourn, the very physical work that was done in 

many of the activities and the constant planning and executing of these plans. During his 

growing years, Fred participated in every sport available to him, excelling in most but not 

being a standout in any particular one. His physical strength far surpassed his physical 

stature and it was only a natural migration to armwrestling. Coming from a large family, it 

was easy to find someone to armwrestle against and his older brothers thought it was 

great fun to set up the unsuspecting in the local bars for free drinks against the smaller 

Roy kid.  

 In February of 1979, at the local Prince Albert Winter Festival, a local chiropractor, 

Dr. Reg Martsinkiw, thought it would be great fun to have an armwrestling tournament 

included in the festival. Heíd heard of some pretty tough armwrestlers in Alberta and 

contacted them. These gentlemen were John Miazdzyk and Tony Senger. Dr. Reg had 

them come out and organize the tournament, in which Fred entered and proceeded to get 

two 3rd place finishes. Nonetheless he was hooked. He talked with John for hours, asking 

all kinds of questions about the ins and outs of armwrestling. There were no local 

tournaments in Saskatchewan, so, Fred traveled to Alberta to attend Johnís tournaments, 

where he continued to get beat by individuals who were not as strong as he was. Debbie 

traveled with him as much as was possible, especially with a growing family. She 

encouraged him to get something going locally, so Fred founded the Saskatchewan 

ArmWrestling Association (SAWA) and he began promoting armwrestling within the 

province. It didnít take long to get a pretty big following through out the province and later 

in that same year, Dr. Reg and Fred got together and planned the North American 

Armwrestling Championship. Wow! What a success this was! They had quite a few 

Americans up from the northern states and Canadians from across Canada, East and 

West. Now Fred became involved on the National scene, traveling to where the bigger 

tournaments were and promoting the smaller ones, always looking for new armwrestling 

talent. John Miazdzyk, who was the president of the Canadian Armwrestling Federation 

(CAWF) at the time, asked Fred if he were interested in helping to run the CAWF. Fred 

threw his name into the circle and he became the Vice-President of the West CAWF.  The 

year of 1979 was a very busy and important year and that same year, John Miazdzyk 

hosted the very first World Armwrestling Championship in Weytaskwin Alberta, Canada. 

Four countries were represented, Canada, United States. India and Brazil. The world really 

didnít know at the time that this was to be the catalyst that started the present World 

Armwrestling Federation with over 70 member countries now! At that time the 

armwrestling was run on the sitdown style only. In 1985, Fred became a member of Team 

Canada and they traveled to Mexico City, Mexico. After 2 grueling days of competition, 

Fred emerged with a gold medal in both arms, left and right. Wow! What a high that was 

for him and now he wanted to carry on and defend his title. In 1986, Fred went to Las 

Vegas after winning the right to participate in the Over the Top tournament, which was part 

of the movie with Sylvester Stallone. He wanted the Worlds again! The 1986 worlds were to 

be in India, but unfortunate events in that country kept the other countries out so it didnít 

happen as planned. The 1987 Worlds were in London, England, where Fred experienced 

his best tournament ever, although he only finished with a silver in both left and right. Now 

he began getting a little more involved in the politics of armwrestling as it was getting 

quite busier and John needed help. In 1988, they went to Sweden, where Fred finished 3rd 

in both left and right and he represented Canada on the WAF board, as John had taken ill. 

In 1989, a very tragic event threatened to upset armwrestling, not only on the National 

level but the World level, when John Miazdzyk passed away from a brain tumor. At the 

Western Canadian Nationals that year (up to this point there had always been several 

National championships which created some confusion as to who was the actual national 

champion), Fred was elected to replace John Miazdzyk as the Canadian leader. Team 

Canada headed for Greece, where Fred became a Vice-president of WAF replacing the late 

John Miazdzyk. Fred competed in the open tournament but his duties were taking its toll 

and Fred finished 3rd once again. He had to make his mind up to either stay competing or 

to get involved more heavily in the politics of armwrestling. He decided to continue to 

being involved in armwrestling through the refereeing of the sport and in building a better 

structure to the main body of the sport. Back in Canada, Fred took to his new post of 

CAWF President with a vengeance. He traveled to the eastern part of Canada and after 

meeting with all the shakers and the movers of armwrestling there, he explained his vision 

of there being only one National tournament in Canada. Many thought this to be a pipe 

dream and doubted that it would work. Fred told them, let us not rush into it, but let us 

have only two National tournaments, one in the east and one in the west. The top one from 

each class from each tournament will become Team Canada. They did this for two years, 

but then Fred said, " The worlds are getting better every year, but yet we still donít send 

our best. For example, our first place winner could perhaps be beat by your third place 

finisher or vice versa and therefore we do not have our best on the world team." After 

more debate and some concessions, the CAWF became united as one and for the last 10 

years, they have been having a single Nationals with a dramatic improvement in their 

showing at the Worlds.  

 In 1990, Fred went to the Worlds in Houston, Texas, USA. There he refereed at the 

championship and participated in the General Assembly. There were some conflict with 

some of the delegates and it seemed a rift was starting to form in the WAF and Fred was 

destined to be involved. The WAF was growing quite fast and other forces were entering 

the playing field, trying to capitalize on the growth. In 1991, the WAF was in Israel for that 

yearís championship. Because of personal commitments at home, Fred did not go. In 

1992, the Worlds made their stop in Geneva, Switzerland. This seemed to be the beginning 

of the end for the WAF that most people knew. General Assemblies were not very 

productive and Fred was growing tired of the egos that were running WAF at the time. The 

very democracy that the WAF was founded on was violated to the extreme during the 

election process. The President and Gen-Sec at that time duped member countries into 

signing a blank sheet of paper, when asked what it was for, they were told it was an 

attendance roster. Canada and several other progressive countries were not asked to sign, 

nor shown the paper. At the top of this sheet the duo wrote in after the fact, that all the 

below signed showed unanimous support for these two people to continue on as 

President and General Secretary and therefore an election was not necessary. Fred was 

very disappointed in these people. He tried to get a North American Armwrestling 

Federation (NAAF) going that year, but the same people who had violated the democratic 

process in WAF became involved there as well and the NAAF became merely a shell. In 

1993, the Worlds came back to Canada, in which Fred participated again as referee and 

WAF delegate for Canada. He also wrote the NAAF constitution that year, trying once 

again to get it going. He got some co-operation from the American Armwrestling 

Association (AAA) who appointed Ray Darling to the NAAF Board of Directors. Between 

the two of them and in order to get going, upon mutual consent, Fred was to serve as 

president for a two year term and then Ray would take over for two years and then they 

hoped to have a general election to have new people involved. In 1994, Sweden once again 

hosted the WAF Worlds. That year Fred chaired the General Assembly and some progress 

was made. During the past several years, each Worlds had been alternating, one year sit 

down style and the following year stand up style. The sit down style was becoming very 

cumbersome and hard to referee properly. Stand up was fast becoming very popular and 

was much easier to referee and promote. In the General Assembly Fred introduced the 

motion and had it debated to eliminate the sit down style completely from the curriculum 

of the WAF championship. A majority vote changed the way of doing tournaments and 

stand up was to be the only style promoted on the World circuit. In 1994, Fred was asked 

by then President of WAF, Bob OíLeary and General secretary of WAF, Barij Baran Das to 

go to Moscow and attend the Golden Bear tournament. Once there he was to contact new 

members. This was a prestigious event at which some very high profile armwrestling 

leaders would be attending who were not part of WAF at the time. These included Mr. Dave 

Devoto, USA, Mr. Leonard Harkless, USA, Mr. Mitsuo Endo, Japan and others. Arranged by 

Mr. Igor Akhmedshin, Fred presented his pitch on WAF in front of the Russian Olympic 

Committee and all others that were present. The results were very successful and WAF 

came away a winner with newly acquired members. At this point and in talking to Mr. 

Devoto and Mr. Harkless, Fred asked them why they had not joined forces with the AAA 

and become one National body in the United States. They told him they had asked but all 

their ideas and proposals had been rejected at the time and that they were basically told 

they were not wanted. Fred thought this to be very odd, especially when WAF was 

supposed to be trying to spread armwrestling and get as many organizations into the fold 

of WAF as possible. With this information in hand and on behalf of the NAAF organization, 

Fred approached the AAA and asked if it were possible to affiliate all entities in the 

country of the United States under one National banner without each organization losing 

its original identity, much as they had done in Canada. No answer back!  

 In 1995 the WAF Worlds went to Brazil. More controversy ensued, not only on the 

world level but on the continental level as well. The board of directors of the AAA took 

Fred aside and told him to keep his nose out of USA armwrestling business and that the 

AAA was the only organization recognized to represent armwrestling to WAF in the United 

States. Fred asked them what about all the talent that was being left out of the loop, what 

about the following all the other organizations had, would they not be interested in 

acquiring those athletes? Were not the proposals put forward by NAAF worth debating 

with all interested parties? No, no, no, were the answers that came back! Fred persisted 

and he was threatened to be thrown out of the organization if he continued.  

 On the World level, the refereeing division was running into problems with 

constant battling for power and egos were tripping out. What would it all come to, 

wondered Fred? Who cared who had refereed more than the other, as long as they had 

quality refereeing.  

 In 1996 the WAF Worlds went back to the USA. Problems were getting more 

intense. Now, suddenly, the then WAF leaders said Fred could not participate as a referee, 

although he had done so for the last 6 years, stating WAF policy that had never been in the 

constitution before. They also asked him to give the NAAF presidency over to Ray Darling, 

delegating him to vice ñpresident of NAAF. Fred realized that they were trying to force him 

out by any way possible, even changing policy without majority consent or debate. His 

push for a better-structured WAF was not being met with open arms. The head hunting 

had started. Mr. David Shead from England was expelled from WAF on trumped up 

charges and exaggerated lies.  

 The year of 1997 took the WAF back to India, again under controversial 

circumstances. Upon arrival in Guwahatti City, State of Assam, Fred was registered into a 

hotel away from the host hotel. Out of site out of mind so it seemed to say.  He receives a 

visit from Barij Baran Das who delivers him papers of charges against Fred on behalf of 

WAF. Again more trumped up charges and the head hunting continued. He made his way 

to the host hotel and handed out the packages on behalf of Canada who were proposing to 

host the Worlds for 1998. He then made arrangements through an interpreter to take him 

to an individual who had a typewriter. Once there Fred answered all of the charges against 

him, point for point and then he found a place to have them photocopied. The following 

day was the Annual Congress meeting. Again they were playing silly games, giving Fred a 

hard time about getting his pass to get into the meeting. The president of WAF stops him 

before he enters and shows him papers that were later discerned as forged, that the 

president of NAAF, who was not present at these worlds, had taken Fred out of the 

position of vice-president and appointed someone else into that position, therefore taking 

Fred off the board of WAF. When Fred challenged the authenticity of these papers, even if 

the whole scenario was against the NAAF constitution, he entered the meeting hall to take 

his place at head of the table. Sitting in his place was the alleged replacement for the 

North America delegation. An armed guard came to him and pushed him out of the way 

and he was asked to sit elsewhere, which he did. He conducted himself in a gentlemanly 

fashion in spite of the way he was being treated by these people who were totally out of 

control. When the time came to vote for the next years Worlds no other country had any 

proposal except for Canada. Fred passed out the remaining world packages to the 

countries that had not received them as yet. It was voted on unanimously to accept 

Canadaís bid. Then it came time to take care of other business, the charges that had been 

presented to Fred were read and the execution began immediately without even asking if 

Fred had any rebuttal to the charges. Acting quickly with the help of the rest of the 

Canadian delegation, the rebuttal papers were passed out, answering all the charges 

against him. This was a move that took the board by surprise, because they did not expect 

that Fred would have had the time to do all of this. When individuals demanded that Fred 

have the time to answer to the charges and explain his rebuttal, the General Secretary 

came out with this bit of wisdom "A majority decision has no place in this Congress." The 

board pulled in their horns and said that they would take the time to read the rebuttal 

(instead of doing it in Congress and having a membership vote) and come back with a 

decision. The next day is the start of the tournament. Now the WAF has a problem. They 

do not have enough referees, so Fred is asked to referee, even though the year before he 

wasnít allowed. Rather then point out all of the very apparent deficiencies in their strategy, 

Fred agreed to do it so that some of the credibility of a World championship might be 


 Upon leaving Guwahatti City, Fred runs into General Osman from Egypt at the 

airport. In conversation Fred asks General Osman,  "So we will see you at the World 

championship in Canada next year?"  He calmly replies, "No, I am returning home to 

prepare to host the World championships in Egypt next year as I was asked by Mr. Das 

and OíLeary to do so."  Fred replies, " Were we not at the same meeting where the 

membership voted unanimously to come to Canada for the Worlds next year?" "Yes" he 

replied, " but apparently there has been some changes since you have not given the 

required sanction fee." Fred goes to his luggage and checks the inside pocket of his suit 

and finds the sealed envelope from the bid committee in his suit. In all the commotion he 

had not given it to them. Upon arrival in Calcutta, he sends the check to Mr. Das via 

registered mail, which he had to sign for to receive it. Mr. Das then claims that Canada was 

breaking the law because it was illegal to give post-dated checks. He is now in contact 

with the host committee in Canada. Now Fred arrives back in Canada and begins 

contacting Mr. OíLeary and Mr. Das to find out the decision of the board after reviewing 

the rebuttal. Three months later, they return a decision that they had expelled Fred from 

WAF for life and that the Worlds were going to Egypt for 1998. Knowing of all the bogus 

activity that had surrounded all of this, Fred went back to the membership and sent out a 

call for a vote of non-confidence against Bob OíLeary and Barij Baran Das. The charges 

were explicit, based on fact and through the only article in the constitution that could 

accommodate this action. The vote for non-confidence was to take place at the World 

championships in Canada. Canada went ahead with championships because it was not the 

membership that had changed the location, it was a couple of scared individuals. The vote 

went ahead at the Congress meeting and Das and OíLeary were removed from their posts 

and an election was held to replace them. There was a majority quorum at the Congress 

Meeting and the votes stood as valid. The interim President was Fred Roy, Canada and 

General Secretary was Willy Deneumostier, Belgium until election year 2000, at which time 

a new election would take place.  

 The 1999 edition of the World Championship were in Tokyo, Japan. Although the 

controversy had created upheaval in the world of armwrestling, some excellent progress 

was made. There was actually some real work being done in Congress. Fred was pleased 

with all that took place, the defeats and the victories, because he knew that the WAF was 

finally on the right track. Progress would be made. A referee training program was 

introduced the year before and the decision had been made to run the clinic at every 

championship. Changes were made in the constitution to stop the kind of abuse and 

dictatorship they had experienced from the former administration from happening again.  

The millennium edition of the World championship went to Finland. The year 2000 

was filled with victories for Fred, which overshadowed the defeats. Great strides again 

were taken in making the WAF championships more efficient and meetings more 


2001, WAF was in Poland, gaining more strength and momentum as democracy 

and a positive outlook continued to prevail in the World of armwrestling. More countries 

joined the WAF.  

The United States has the 2002 championships and it is promising to be a 

tremendous tournament. World armwrestling unity is a big topic and the armwrestlers of 

the world want it to happen. These are the people who want to see armwrestling raised to 

that plain where it belongs, the goal shared by so many from so many different countries, 

ultimately the Olympics.  

   Fred is proud to be associated with all of them and to have been a part of their past and 

the future! 

CAWF Hall of Fame

Fred Salvadore - Builder

Fred Salvadore was born and raised in Timmins, Ontario and was a huge promoter of the sport of arm wrestling. He organized the first ever World Wrist Wrestling Championships in Timmins in 1970. He was approached by Carling O'Keefe Breweries and, through exposure on Wide World of Sports, managed to promote the sport in a way that no one had been able to. He put on a World Armwrestling Championships for an unbelievable 12 years in a row in Timmins, Ontario. 

In 1971, he organized the first ever Canadian Armwrestling Championships and that served as the introduction of the term "arm wrestling," which was previously referred to as wrist wrestling. With the showcasing of arm wrestling on Wide World of Sports, he will be remembered as a superior promoter of the sport. 

CAWF Hall of Fame

John Miazdzyk - Builder

This being our first year of actually having a Canadian Armwrestling Hall of Fame, it wouldn’t be complete without honoring the man who is the very heart & soul of our great sport. Without his dedication, vision and courage, the sport of armwrestling would not be what it is today. 

He hosted the very first World Championships in Alberta in 1979, and over the next 10 years did more to promote and further the sport of armwrestling than most could accomplish in a lifetime. 

John passed away in 1989 at the young age of 40. It is nearly 20 years since the passing of this great legend and still he is being honored with yet another award. 

Thank you John for giving us this great sport we call Armwrestling. I encourage you all to “Remember the Spirit”.